Lunch in the Lab: New Library System Training (Richmond)
Our new library system is launching on October 13, and we think you’re going to be excited about all you can do in this system! Integrated searching will bring up all books as well as all database articles, you can text yourself information about a title from within the catalog, searching will be possible directly from the home page and you’ll eventually be able to search the catalog from Facebook! But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Our reference librarian, Paula Skreslet, will be working on updating tutorials, but if you want to get started learning about our new system immediately after it launches, be sure and sign up for classes offered in the Digital Learning Lab (Room 203,Morton Library) beginning October 17!
For the Lunch in the Lab series, feel free to bring your lunch and beverage (in a covered container please). Sessions will focus on different facets of our catalog. We only have room for 10 people in each class, so register early. We will alert you here when a class is filled. All classes meet between 1:15 – 2:00 pm.If you can’t attend the classes we’ve scheduled, contact the leader for each class and make arrangements for another session or tutorial.
- Monday, October 17 – Catalog Basics (Ryan Douthat, Electronic Services Librarian) – Explore searching from the library home page, results pages displaying books or databases, faceted searching (a different approach in this system than you may be used to), determining item availability and format.
- Monday, October 31 – Catalog Basics (See above)
- Friday, November 4 – Searching Databases (Paula Skeslet, Reference Librarian) – How to search our databases using advanced and faceted searching, retrieving full text articles and requesting articles we do not hold via ILL.
- Monday, November 7 – Your Account and My Lists (Paula Skreslet, Reference Librarian) – Using your personal account functions to monitor your Library activity and to create and save personalized lists.
- Friday, November 11 – Searching for Media, Curriculum and Sermons (Ann Knox, Instructional Resource Center Director) – Searching for curricular material using Scripture passage or theme, age level, publisher, etc. You’ll also learn how to find individual sermons from within a book of sermons and how to locate only media items.
- Monday, November 14 – Interlibrary Loan (ILL) from within our new system and website (Jay McNeal, ILL specialist) – You can now make interlibrary loan requests for items or articles we do not own directly from our catalog,as well as through a web-based form.