Professional reference staff is available to assist patrons with study and research. In general, the Reference Librarian, Dr. Robin McCall, is available to assist patrons in using the computer catalog, microforms, periodical indexes, and reference and bibliographical tools, whether they are located in the Reference Room, online, or elsewhere in the general collection. The Reference Librarian is trained in theological research and welcomes the opportunity to help you plan and conduct your study projects.
While the Library is operating under COVID restrictions, the Reference Librarian is normally available in person on Mondays and Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in Morton Library’s Reference Room. Additionally, remote assistance is available via email (contact Robin at email@example.com), phone (office phone: 804-278-4333; work-from-home phone: 804-557-4717), Facebook messenger, and Zoom, Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. We offer two types of Zoom-based assistance:
- Patrons may log on without appointments to the Zoom Reference desk to find answers to short questions (15 minutes or less).
- For longer questions, patrons may sign up here for hour-long Reference appointments with the Reference or Instructional Resources librarians.
- Assistance with archival materials and special collections is available by appointment. Contact Ryan Douthat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A few Reference Room reminders:
- Books and periodicals may not be removed from the Reference Room except for photocopying. Please return them to the book truck in the Reference Room.
- Materials should not be reshelved either in the Reference Room or in the stack areas but left on the book truck in the center of the Reference Room.
- There may be duplicate copies of Bibles, commentaries, and other reference materials in the stacks, in case you would like a circulating copy. Also, remember that we keep only a small sample of commentaries in the Reference Room — there are many additional titles available in the stacks.
- Please do not bring food of any kind into the Reference Room; drinks must be in covered, spill-proof containers.
- We try to maintain a quiet environment in the Reference Room. Please do not carry on conversations there (the building contains many group study rooms for people working together). Cell phones should be turned off or taken outside.