Placing a hold request on an item located at the Richmond campus library
UPSem students, faculty, staff, alumni and community members from the Richmond campus and students, faculty and staff from the Charlotte campus may place hold requests on books and Instructional Resources Center items such as CDs and DVDs from the Richmond Library. However, Richmond campus library patrons may only place holds on items available at the Richmond Library. To place a hold on an item all you need is your library barcode number and PIN.
Hold requests placed by patrons are processed the following business day. For Charlotte campus patrons who live within 40 miles* of the Charlotte campus Library, items from the Richmond library will be shipped to the Charlotte Library and be ready to pick up within 3-5 days. A Hold Pickup Notice will be emailed to you once when your item(s) are available for pickup at the circulation desk. Please make arrangements to pick up your item(s) as quickly as possible as a courtesy to other patrons.
If you are a Richmond campus library patron and have any questions about your item holds, contact the Richmond Library’s Circulation Desk Supervisor, Lisa Janes, at (804) 278-4335 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a Charlotte campus library patron and have any questions about your item holds from the Richmond Library, contact Kevin Davis at (980) 636-1682 or email email@example.com.
*Students who live 40 or more miles from the Seminary’s Richmond or Charlotte campuses and are enrolled for credit in an online or hybrid course may request that Library books be mailed directly to the student’s residential address. IMPORTANT: If you are a Charlotte student and live more than 40 miles from the Charlotte campus you MUST contact Seminary Librarian Robin McCall at (804) 278-4311 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, BEFORE you place a hold on item(s) from the Richmond campus Library if you want the item(s) to be mailed to your home. If you place a hold on item(s) before contacting Robin McCall, item(s) from the Richmond campus will be sent to the Charlotte campus Library for pickup.
How the Holds Process Works
- Find the item by searching the Library’s online catalog.
- Once you’ve found the item, you have two options for placing a hold on it. You can either click the orange Place Hold button located to the right of the item title, or you can select the Click to show holdings arrow below the item record to display the campus library that has the item. Under the Item Holds heading select Reserve This Copy to place a hold on the item.
Note: If you are a Charlotte campus library patron and the item you need is available at both campus libraries please select the Charlotte campus library copy as this will not only save you time in receiving the item but library shipping costs as well.
- In the Log In pop-up box enter your library barcode number and PIN and click the Log In button.
- After logging in you will see a Place Hold(s) pop-up box with the title, hold Pickup Library and Volume number (if applicable) drop-down box options. Please make sure the appropriate option for each is selected.
- Now click the orange Place Hold button in the same pop-up box. A hold Successful message will display if the item you’ve chosen is able to be placed on hold.
You can check on the status of your holds at anytime by logging into your library account and selecting My Account from the menu at the top of the online catalog page or under the search bar on the library website homepage under the search box. Select the Holds tab to display your current hold(s), their current status and hold options. You have the option to cancel your hold(s), edit your pickup location, edit/suspend your hold(s) or cancel your hold suspensions.